1180days ago0 Replies
 1227days ago0 Replies
 1512days ago0 Replies
 1597days ago0 Replies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reverde

re: Research Project

Hello!

Many of you may not know me, but I am a guild member and active on another server. You all are a more serious progression guild than we are and therefore on many levels can provide a unique insight into a study I am conducting for Communication Theories at Pittsburg State University. If you have the time, please consider helping me out with my education by answering these questions:

Research Questions

Here are the questions. Please Provide:
name or toon name:
age (optional):
where you live (optional):
occupation (optional):
how many hours you play each day:
how many years have you been playing world of warcraft:

For the official questions: Please limit your answers to information specific to WoW (as in not other video games) and avoid really long or really short replies.
1) Why did you start playing WoW?
2) How has WoW altered your life or lifestyle? Saying you do not believe it has is ok.
3) Aside from the in-game perks, why do you choose to be in a guild- You might answer specific to Victory or Whatever or just about a guild in general.
4) Describe kinds of people have you met in WoW. Feel free to tell me about multiple groups.
5) Have you found any financial insights in World of Warcraft? Do they only affect you in game or have they impacted money decision outside the game?
6) How do you feel World of Warcraft affects your behavior?
7) Do you feel there are real world applications for what you have learned in WoW?

Your help is much appreciated. This will help out greatly with my research project!

Please submit all responses as either personal messages on this site or to my email

ethansamuel@gus.pittstate.edu

Reverde

The final date for surveys will be november 16th at 5PM CST. Thank you again for your contribution. Any questions can also be submitted to me via PM or email.

Last edited by Reverde on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Centurion154

I started playing WoW when a friend gifted it to me and bought himself a copy on my 16th birthday.

2) How has WoW altered your life or lifestyle? Saying you do not believe it has is ok.
I do not play many other computer games and have stopped watching TV cuz i rather chat with people on WoW then sit aroudn watch tv

3) Aside from the in-game perks, why do you choose to be in a guild- You might answer specific to The Unforsaken or just about a guild in general.
I joined a guild originally to hang out and talk with people in my area that play wow, then it was for raidign purposes, now i can probably not be in a guild and still do just as much cuz i play very casually now

4) Describe kinds of people have you met in WoW. Feel free to tell me about multiple groups.
There are multiple people who play wow, basically a multitude of nice people, people who aren't as nice, and people who rather just play by themselves.

5) Have you found any financial insights in World of Warcraft? Do they only affect you in game or have they impacted money decision outside the game?
Very slightly, I have not spent as much money on other games since i started playing WoW cause i do not feel the need to play other games as much

It's just a game and i do not think it has affected my behavior that much. I might talk to people online somewhat more

7) Do you feel there are real world applications for what you have learned in WoW?
How to talk to people in a virtual setting, coordination and paying attention. Typing skills, and various minute things.

Guest Post Rules are In Effect for this Post
Pirefly

Crimsonlily - 29

I had a minor surgery that put me on bed rest for several weeks and away from work for 8 weeks. At the time I worked a 70 hour work week and I was extremely bored after a few days. I am not a fan of much t.v. Having enjoyed console games most my life a friend at the time suggested I try WoW and sent me a RAF. December 2008

I do not feel it has. It is a simple form of entertainment that would be equal to some people sitting in front of the t.v. or something similar. I live in a small town and there very little to do here. This gives me something to do when I don't want to drive the 40 mins. It HAS allowed me to meet some wonderful people around the world I would not have met otherwise.

3) Aside from the in-game perks, why do you choose to be in a guild- You might answer specific to Victory or Whatever or just about a guild in general.
I like the company. I feel Victory or Whatever has a great atmosphere and I enjoy a lot of the people in it.

The question is not very specific. There is every type in the game.

This game has had no impact on my money decisions outside of the game. I feel I've always been pretty frugal by nature. I seem to be the same way in the game :D

Again, Not very specific. I do not feel it has an impact of my behavior when I am not in the game. Has the game ever killed a wonderful day type of mood...Sure. But it IS just a game : )

Well. I think the game can develop people socially. To some level anyways. There is every type of personality in this game and learning to work with every type of personality is a bit of a challenge. I feel this game allows for some people to develop better people skills when it comes to the many types of personalities they can encounter. Sometimes in the real world those opportunities are not always present for everyone. There is also the team work factor. If you raid in this game then to some level you are required to work as a team with several people. Can this be applied in the real world. Yes. Working through problems the team might encounter or the research involved it can easily be applied to many things in the real world. There is also the negative reaction to all of that too. It can send a person in the wrong direction very easily : ) However, I don't feel these were LEARNED in wow ...I feel they are able to be improved by it though.

While World of Warcraft may just be a game...The people you interact with within it are very Real.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Victory or Whatever Forum Index -> News All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Guild Perks
Server Status
WoWProgress Rank